General Poker Rules
According to the latest researches, poker is one of the most popular games within commercial gaming. Most of the casino players choose this game to try as it has lots of attractive points that include huge winning chances and interactive gameplay. This game is even unlawful Internet gambling considered as the sports even that can be compared to playing chess only, as it involves deep knowledge of the game running and psychological skills. It is really true that poker is the most popular gambling game. In poker games the cards are ranked from highest to lowest as follows: Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2. But, unlike most other games Ace in poker can be both the highest and lowest card depending on the combination in which it is used. In standard poker game 52 card deck is used, but in some poker variations wild cards (jokers) are added. The use of wild cards depends on the game played and in general wild card may acquire the value and suit whatever you want. Sometimes, any card from the deck (but not a joker) is used as a wild card.
All suits (spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs) in poker are equal and do not influence the value of the card combination. According to the basic poker rules, all poker hands contain five cards and the hand with the highest value wins.
The number of cards dealt to each player depends on the game variation. Usually the players get five cards, just enough for making poker hand, but in some games this number can be bigger, for example in 7 Card stud. All in all, only five cards can be used to create poker hand.
Let’s learn some basic poker rules that mostly used at the land card rooms:
- In case the first hole card is revealed during the deal the cards must be reshuffled and re-dealt.
- In case any of the hole cards (but not the first) is revealed to all players, it must be replaced with another unseen card by dealer. Exposed card is returned to the deck and is used as the burn card on the flop.
- Every player must protect his or her cards from being exposed. For this purpose in every casino the special marker can be used that when put on the top of the cards indicates that the cards are still in play.
- In case any of the community cards are revealed the dealer must reshuffle and re-deal the cards.
- When the betting round is not finished yet but the dealer has already exposed the board card it must be removed from play for the round and replaced with another one after all the players place the bets. It is like in roulette, where the dealer announces No More Bets when the roulette wheel is spinning.
- When the players reveal their cards (on the showdown) they must not mix them with the board cards (or even allow to touch the board cards. Otherwise, the player must forfeit the hand.
- In the showdown the players must expose all the cards in the hand if they claim for any part of the pot.
- The verbal declaration of the action forces to take this action.
- Rapping the poker table means that the player checks.
- Cards speak. This means that the hand value is determined by the value of the actual ranks of the cards but not the verbal declaration that can be wrong.
- If the card was dropped it is still must be played whether it is hidden or exposed.
- The card dealt to the wrong position and the situation when the button is out of position call for re-deal.
- The cards thrown into another player’s cards or into the muck are considered to be dead.
- In case the player exposes his or her cards to other players who is in the pot all the players at poker table have the right to see these cards.
- All betting amount must be at least equal to the previous bet or raise (except All-in).
- If the player puts the chip worth more than the previous bet into the pot and doesn’t declare raise verbally the player is considered to call (but not raise).
Poker is... a fascinating, wonderful, intricate adventure on the high seas of human nature.
David A. Daniel